Colon hydrotherapy, also known as colonic irrigation, colon cleansing, or colonic cleansing is a procedure that involves flushing the colon with a gentle stream of purified water to remove waste material and potentially improve bowel function and an overall sense of wellbeing. Colon hydrotherapy is performed at Living Arts Wellness by certified colon hydrotherapists at our Fort Collins wellness centers in Old Town and Midtown.
Here are some key aspects of colon hydrotherapy:
- Purpose: The primary goal of colon hydrotherapy is to cleanse the colon by removing accumulated waste material, toxins, and gas. Proponents of the procedure believe that it may help alleviate symptoms such as constipation, bloating, and digestive discomfort.
- Procedure: During a colon hydrotherapy session at Living Arts Wellness, you will lie on your back on the treatment table, and an FDA-regulated instrument will be used to introduce filtered and temperature-regulated water into your colon through a tube inserted into the rectum. The water is gently introduced and then released, along with waste material, into a waste disposal system.
- Colonic Instrument: The instrument used for colon hydrotherapy at Living Arts Wellness is a closed system. Closed systems use an instrument that controls water pressure and temperature. Living Arts Wellness colon hydrotherapists use the Aqua Cleanse colon irrigation system because of its enhanced safety features. The Aqua Cleanse system has the following safety features:
- Three-Stage Filtration to removes impurities from the water before it reaches your colon
- A medical grade sanitizing system to thoroughly clean the system between each client. We also use a new disposable, sanitized, factory-sealed tubing for each client.
- Pressure and temperature gauges which are monitored by your colon hydrotherapist during the colonic session.
- Hygiene and Safety: Your health, safety, and comfort are of the utmost importance. Our colonic procedures are conducted with strict adherence to hygiene and safety practices. This includes sterilizing the colonic instrument, using disposable tubing, and following infection control protocols. We take these steps to ensure a clean and safe environment.
- Professional Training: Colon hydrotherapy services are performed at Living Arts Wellness by trained professionals who have experience in the procedure. Our therapists are certified by the International Association for Colon Hydrotherapists (I-ACT). They will guide you through the process, monitor your comfort and safety, and provide any necessary post-procedure care instructions.
- Precautions and Contraindications: While colon hydrotherapy is generally regarded as a safe and gentle procedure, it may not be suitable for everyone. It is generally not recommended for individuals with certain medical conditions such as severe diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, severe hemorrhoids, or recent colon or rectal surgery. You may wish to discuss your medical history and any concerns with your healthcare provider before considering colon hydrotherapy. Call us at 970-472-0995 to schedule a consultation with one of our certified colon hydrotherapists to find out if a colonic procedure is right for you.
It is important to note that colon hydrotherapy is more historical and intuitive than scientific as scientific studies are needed to validate the effectiveness of this therapy. However, good sense indicates hydration of the body through a large intestine can enhance the health of the individual. This started thousands of years ago with a simple enema and has evolved into the present day colonic. Many people simply report they feel better after a colonic, maybe due to hydration by osmosis or the release of bowel contents.